The bands were fabulous on a clear and beautiful evening in Summit. I started well as I was 5th in the queue to enter and met some fine folks while we waited. Very oddly though, once in early after grabbing a center seat in front of the sound man as typical, an older woman came and blasphemously berated me for a couple of minutes ~ she was tired of white guys seemingly. I looked to her team of a half doz who shook heads and shrugged. I moved away back a row and it didn't reoccur.
The Ratboys appeared on time to open the show. They're an indie rock band from Chicago whom I've followed for a while. Plenty of touring live content from radio studios. They are fronted by Julia Steiner on lead vocals and flying V rhythm, with searing playing at lead from her partner, Dave Sagan. I bought tix to this show mainly to see the Ratboys. The entire band is rock solid and their set was excellent. They played a lot from the latest album, their 6th, 'Singing To An Empty Chair' ~ I especially wanted to hear their recent protest song "Burn It Down" and they played it, with some regular encouragement from me. I'm really glad I came out again to the Dillon Amp ~ sound and performance were great.
Jesse Welles was not known well to me but now I am a fan. The Ozark kid opened solo on acoustic and vocals with 5 great songs. Dylan/Prine-like social observations and protests... his voice is fine but his songwriting is next level. Then the entire Welles band came out and he continued the vein on rock & roll electric arrangements. It was very good.
I made some friends in the crowd... great show with new friends.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.