Monday, September 28, 2026

Smalltown Gathering Concert @ Riverside Park Salida ~ Fab Friday Lineup Heard Between The Raindrops 26Sep26

Smalltown Gathering @ Riverside Amp... I headed out the Ark to Salida to catch a late season "music" festival.  I'd not been to the Riverpark Amp in Salida ~ It is a completely awesome venue right on the headwaters of the Arkansas River and right in town. So, the location is sweet, and more astounding is that the sound is very solid halfway up a modestly inclined patch of grass. Highly recommended. I was a skosh late (due to BC20X drop off at Salida RV Resort when the check-in office was closed) to grab my bracelet for the WE. Undeterred I contacted a golf cart attendee, parked the RodFthr, and jetted to Riverpark.

Lindsay Lou... Was first on the schedule for the fest' and delivered as always: strong and fun. She's a Berklee kid with great pipes, good writing peppered now with personal insights, and a kid, and a pile of close friends in Nashville and further. I've heard her live to my grin on several occasions and I got there to hear the last 20 min of her set, which was delivered with the awesome Mimi Naja as collaborator... she's a co-leader of Fruition and smokes on strings like the mandolin, and has pretty adjacent vocals to Lindsay, but was harmonically deferential here. The set was stellar and a great Fri kickoff... I didn't go to yoga. I will "always" seek out Lindsay sets, and Naja sets (she's back later this eve).

Slap Dragon... I've heard this killer Nashville alt-jazz group on YT and elsewhere, pretty recently. They call it jazz-grass or grove-grass but they're more of the former and less of the later. Still, completely amazing sound. The jazz-inspired lead contralto Laura Berens (nasty and powerful) and Scott Mulvahill, who brings the groove, met recently ~ results are whack. For the Salida show special lead guitar guest from CO Alex was stellar. This was their CO debut, following their 1st album drop, Mission Statement. Easy to compare Laura with some of my favorite female leads like Anna Moss, Rachel Price, and Sammy Rae... just an amazing vocal instrument on board here. 

Lowdown Brass Band... From Chicago this larger horn band was short at least 1/2 the team due to a traffic accident on 285. Maybe next time boys. Rap & horns were good but... I listened and departed for the keen local fare, rather than the food truck and "bar" at the festival. Tres Litros Clarity of Mind hazy IPA was tasty (later confirmed by local GL as "the choice") and Amicas was, as always, tasty. I said I wanted a beer an a margarita with green chilies and she said they made jalapeño margs; I had to clarify, I wanted pizza with chilies and a beer.

Magoo... - This is a stellar 4 pc acid-grass band from Colorado. Dobro played a “Beard” guitar - I’ve not seen black steel on dobros but Pippus assured me it’s nouveau-nouveau. I've heard Magoo before, notably at the Dillon Amp and howdy what a sound. They crushed us at Smalltown... so good that Joe wanted to share 'shrooms but nah... I gotta drive back to the Salida RV Pk (aka, the 4 Seasons), and maybe elsewhere. Joe was a neighbor center stage 7 rows up; he's a 10x sound engineer for the Grammys and so we knew some shit. Show was astounding with Dead covers and so much more tight to me. Plenty of weed was revealed and gummies seemed out like candy... I had to drive.

Fruition... Now they are something more to stand for here. This is an amazing dark writing ill-definable alt-country, alt-emo, hard-rock band with an amazing front trio throwing best harmonies on lyrics that rip at the heart. They acknowledged this was their "last fest show in CO," despite being a staple for many here, the show was important, and very good. The vocals were clearer here on the upper Ark than even in Dillon, I cupped my ears to delineate the 3 but yeah, so very good on every song. This is a band with remarkable edges 3 ways defined by the songwriters... all are amazing. The show was a stunner.. glad I was here.

Da Boyz & Da Rig... Moontricks are another psychedelic bluegrass band. They too were delayed due to the traffic on 285; it was late and I didn't wait around ~ so I could go see Greg. Here's the BC20X rig I took out to Salida and I stayed at the Salida RV Park (the Four Seasons!); I did not ride but the hitch and rack worked well. After the show I gathered with Greg and Rick at the Poncha Palace and had a beer around the fire ring ~ it got pretty cold for the first time this fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.